Sunday, September 16, 2012

Making a connection

(Week 1)

I'm not new to the world of blogging, but I am excited to start a fresh blog focusing less on personal tidbits and photos of food, and more on the wonderful world of social media. I'm taking a great course at Ryerson University's Chang school of continuing education called Social Media in PR. What better way to learn about social media than to contribute to a blog every week on our thoughts and ideas?

Like most people, I primarily saw social media as a tool to keep connected with my social network in the most efficient way while being able to go about my day. We are inches away from our friends' lives just by checking our smartphones or logging on a computer and on to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc. Only recently I have noticed the value of using these platforms to connect with my favourite brands, restaurants, artists, events and anything else to do with my specific interest. We live in a world that dumps plethora of information in front of us, which makes it increasingly difficult to sift through what actually matters or can be deemed valuable.

I am a huge advocate of social media. Getting back to my original reason as to why I use social media - connections. Connecting is key to social media. Without completing this course yet, I can immediately see that importance of making connections and building relationships via social media. Marketing strategies changes frequently to meet the trend of how society is. It is hard to avoid the fact that social media is crucial for building brands and gaining loyal customers. Social media is not a resource anyone can just start using without understanding its power. Unfortunately, many marketers do not leverage their social media platforms very well. In this article, 5 reasons social media is ruining marketing, mentions that marketers are "becoming lazy" and basically blast their marketing message without a strategy, without conversation and building that crucial relationship. The remainder of the article explains the ways in which to properly use these platforms to benefit the brand and objective of the company.

Remember connection is key!

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to new or popular ideas on how to connect through the web!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Stay tuned! I will be writing about the various ways to do this via the web and especially through popular social media platforms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for bringing home the point about connecting. I'm not a user of social media - and that's not because I don't believe in it or don't like it, I just don't think I fully understand it. But the more we talk about using it to make connections, I'm realizing how much I can use it in my professional life. For me it's been a huge start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great! I'm glad you're able to start and able to see the value of social media. It really is a powerful tool outside from our personal lives. I'm an avid user of the different platforms but even with my experience with it, like you I also feel I don't fully understand it. I know how to use it in my personal life but I'm looking forward to learning on how we can leverage it professionally.

    ReplyDelete